Learn to use scratchboard to create striking black and white drawings. Scratchboard is a medium used by illustrators to make beautiful detailed images that resemble woodcuts or engravings. It is perfect for drawing all kinds of animals with fur, feathers, wings, or fins; leaves, flowers, trees, architectural elements, and many other subjects! Using a pointed nib, lines and shading are scratched into black ink, revealing the white clay background underneath. The result is a bold black and white image that can be colored later with inks or pencil if desired. This workshop will take you through the process of choosing and sketching your subject, transferring the sketch to scratchboard, and making a variety of marks with different nibs to build your final image. Previous drawing experience is strongly recommended.
Catherine Paladino is an art and science teacher with more than 10 years of experience and has written several award-winning children’s books.
Please purchase the following supplies prior to the first class:
1. Parallel line tool by Ampersand. From Blick Art Supply: Item #14913-0010
2. Scratchbord by Ampersand package of 3. Size: 5” x 5” From Blick Art Supply: Item #14914-2053
3. Scratchbord by Ampersand, sold individually. Purchase two. Size: 8” x 10” From Blick Art Supply: Item #14914-2002
4. Scratch-Art Knife Curved. Purchase two or three blades. From Blick Art Supply: Item #14901-0000
5. Scratch-Art Knife Straight. Purchase two or three blades. From Blick Art Supply: Item #14901-0010
6. Speedball Standard Pen Holder. Purchase one. From Blick Art Supply: Item # 20914-1065
7. Saral Wax Free Transfer Paper. From Blick Art Supply: Item #12917-1012
8. Faber-Castell Kneaded Eraser. From Blick Art Supply: Item # 21019-2610